Dr. George Smith
MB.ChB, FRCOphth, DO, FRCS(Ed), Diploma in Refractive Surgery Sydney, FRANZCO
“My real passion lies in fine anterior segment microsurgery”
About Dr. George Smith
With over 35 years of experience, Dr. George Smith is a highly respected Ophthalmologist and one of Tasmania’s finest anterior segment experts. Over the course of his career, George has built up extensive experience in all things ocular.
An established and highly skilled physician, George has performed over 10,000 cataract operations and specializes in small-incision sutureless cataract surgery, diseases of the cornea, glaucoma and general ophthalmology.
When George isn’t providing his specialist services for Tasmanian Eye Clinics you can find him with his family pursuing his various outdoor endeavours such as scuba diving and skiing or on the golf course showing off his mean ‘backswing’.
Originally from the United Kingdom, George gained his qualification in medicine at Dundee University, Scotland in 1982. Later completing further training in both the UK and Australia where he undertook a corneal fellowship at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear hospital in Melbourne from 1990 to 1992. He worked as a consultant general ophthalmologist with an interest in corneal diseases at the University Hospital Coventry UK from 1995 to 2014.
Dr. Smith has a number of specialties including:
- Small incision cataract surgery
- Laser cataract surgery
- Macular degeneration
- Keratoconus and other diseases of the cornea
- Corneal surgery and Keratoplasty techniques
- Glaucoma – medical and surgical management
- Comprehensive ophthalmology
- The Royal College of Ophthalmologists of the United Kingdom
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology
- The British Society for Refractive Surgery
- The UK Association of Ophthalmologists
- The United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Midlands Ophthalmological Society
- UK Medical Contact Lens and Ophthalmic Surgeons Association
Dr. Smith continues to advance his professional development through regularly attending conferences which further his knowledge on his special interest subjects.
Dr. Smith continually contributes to the study and education of eye health, having written a number of peer-reviewed papers and articles and authored a book chapter along with his regular attendance and contribution at presentations worldwide.